These Starbucks blueberry scones copycat recipe is light, fluffy, tangy, and delicious breakfast. They are even better than the bakery ones. They are full of fresh blueberry and less sweet than most recipes.
There are different recipe for Starbucks blueberry scones and this is my twist to the scones at Starbucks. With this recipe for scones, you can build different scone flavors by adding ingredients like chocolate chips, raisins, strawberries, lemon zest, and many more. Some popular recipes include Starbucks scones, lemon blueberry scones, chocolate chip scones.
What are scones?
Scones are a type of baked goods, made from flour, butter, baking powder, and liquid. Scones are slightly sweetened and brushed with egg wash before baking. They are like American biscuits since both are made of leavened and are quick to make. scones are sweeter than biscuits and sometimes contain dried, frozen, or fresh fruit. While biscuits are less sweet, and they are sometimes served with gravy or used as a sandwich base. Other recipe examples of scones recipes are cinnamon scones, lavender scones, strawberry lemon scones, Starbucks copycat pumpkin scones recipe.
Why You Will Like These Easy Blueberry Scones Recipe?
· They are less sweet with crumbly edges and the best scone texture.
· Flaky and soft scone
· Delicious and easy to make.
· Bursting with fresh blueberries and natural blueberry flavor.
· Complimented with lemon glaze.
Blueberry Scones Ingredients
These homemade scones are easy to make and uses few ingredients that might be in your pantry already.
Flour: use all-purpose flour for this recipe. All-purpose flour is the most common flour found in most homes. When you measure the required amount make sure to set extra aside. Use the extra flour for the work surfaces and your hands.
Sugar: this recipe used granulated white sugar in the dough. Feel free to use brown sugar, but keep in mind that there will be a slight difference in the flavor and texture.
Baking powder: this acts as the leavening agent, which adds a lift to the scones.
Salt, Nutmeg, and Vanilla extract: these are the flavor booster in the dough. Cinnamon will also work in the dough.
Butter: cold butter is the secret ingredient for making the scones flaky and crispy. The butter adds flavor to the scones.
Buttermilk: this produces a soft and tender texture for the scones. heavy cream or heavy whipping cream works too as well as canned coconut milk. For this recipe avoid using thinner liquids such as milk or almond milk.
Eggs: they add structure, lift, flavor, and richness to the texture of the scones. The egg used is large.
Blueberries: use fresh or frozen blueberries. When using frozen blueberries, you should not thaw them before use.
Garnish: this is an important step in making scones that has golden brown shine and crunch to it. Brush the top of the scones with buttermilk and sprinkle with coarse or sugar crystals before baking.
The Secret to Make Flaky Scones.
If you want the flakiest scones, then the fat used should be at the right temperature. The fat in the recipe needs to be very cold or frozen so that it does not melt into the flour before baking. To achieve this, grate frozen butter and mix it into the flour quickly. When pieces of the butter in the scones bake, they release steam and a pocket of air. This pocket of air makes the scones flaky in the center and crumbly and crisp at the edges. Do not overwork the dough since it will produce dense scones.
How to Make Starbucks Blueberry Scones Recipe
Blueberry scones are an easy and perfect recipe that can be enjoyed at any time of the day whether for an afternoon tea or morning coffee. Scones are like quick breads since they have no yeast. they go from mixing bowl to board and oven in no time. The recipe uses these easy steps.
First, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and whisk the flour mixture together in a large bowl. Second, grate the frozen butter into the dry ingredients. Box grater was used to grate the butter, but the pastry cutter works too. A knife can be used to cubed butter into small pieces and add to the dry ingredients as well.
Next, you must mix the wet ingredients in a small bowl. for this, you will need buttermilk, a large egg, and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, add the fresh blueberries, and gently mix to combine. Transfer dough onto a board, form into a disc, and use a bench scraper or sharp knife to cut into 8 wedges.
Finally, arrange the wedges on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, brush with buttermilk, and sprinkle with coarse sugar. At this point, you can chill the dough for 15 minutes before baking or bake straight away. refrigerate the unbaked wedges overnight for use in the morning. After that, arrange the scones on a prepared baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven until golden brown.
How to Make a Gluten-Free Version
Use gluten-free flour from King Arthur Flour blend, this seems to work well. Use this as a straight replacement for regular flour. Feel free to use any type you like. One secret is to add xanthan gum to gluten-free flour (1/4 teaspoon gum to 200g/7oz/1 ½ cups flour). This helps improve the crumb structure of scones and baked goods in general.
How to Make these Blueberry Scones Vegan?
it is possible to make this delicious scones recipe vegan with few adjustments. Below are the substitutions that work well with this recipe.
· Dairy Free Butter Substitutes like Earth Balance Sticks or margarine instead of butter.
· Canned Coconut Milk instead of buttermilk. Almond milk can be used for buttermilk and use in the recipe.
· Milled Flax Seed Instead of an egg. Use the flaxseed to make flax egg which is the best substitute for egg in baking. To make the flax egg, you need 1 tablespoon of flax and 3 tablespoons of water and whisk together until well combined. Then place in the refrigerator to set for about 15 minutes. This recipe is for one egg substitution.
If you have any questions about this recipe, I will love to hear about them in the comment section below. Did you make this recipe, then do not forget to rate the recipe, and let me know how it turned out in the comments below?
Thanks for reading. As always, know that God loves you, and stay blessed!
Happy baking and decorating!!
Starbucks Blueberry Scones Copycat Recipe
- Box grater
- baking mat
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus extra for work surface
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ⅓ cup (67g) sugar
- ½ cup (113g; 1 stick) unsalted butter, frozen
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup buttermilk (minus 1 tablespoon for brushing)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extra
- 1 cup (180g) fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw)
for topping (optional)
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
lemon glaze (optional)
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup (50g) powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 °F and lined baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, sugar, and mix together. Grate the frozen butter directly into the flour mixture and combine with a fork or your fingers. The mixture should resemble bread crumbs with pea- size crumbs.
- Whisk buttermilk, egg, and vanilla extract together in a small mixing bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry or flour ingredients, add the fresh blueberries, and gently mix to combine. Transfer dough onto a floured board, form it into 8 inches disc using your fingers. Use a bench scraper or sharp knife to cut into 8 wedges.
- Brush the scones with buttermilk and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Transfer the scones onto the prepared baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven for 18- 22minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Mix together the lemon juice and powdered sugar until well combined. drizzle on cooled scones before serving.