This quick sweet potato bread with pecan crumble is flavorful and comes together very easily.
During this thanksgiving season, sweet potatoes are found in every home and they are cheap. Why not make a delicious sweet potato bread with pecan crumble for breakfast for the whole family to enjoy. Sweet potato has a delicious and melt in your mouth sweet taste that gives this bread a unique flavor and taste. The best part of this sweet potato bread is that it is easy, and no special skills are required. All you need are a few steps and you are ready to bake.
Pecan Crumble Topping
The sweet potato bread topped with pecan crumble topping adds additional crunch to the bread and makes it taste even better. The toppings are:
- Easy to prepare
- Can be made ahead of time
- Just sprinkle on the bread mixture before baking
- Uses few ingredients.
- Add a nutty and battery taste to the bread
Preparation Before Baking The Sweet Potato Bread
- Before baking or cooking, it is important to read the recipe thoroughly to ensure that you have all the tools and ingredients that you will need, and also to know if there are any make-ahead steps needed. For this recipe, it is the cooking of the sweet potato.
- Cook the sweet potato ahead of time and allow it to cool completely before using. This can be done by baking it in the oven at 400°F for about 30 minutes or until the inside is soft. Sweet potato can also be cooked on stovetop for about 30 minutes (or microwave on high for 12 minutes) until it is soft.
- Preheat oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Prepare a 9×5 inches loaf pan with nonstick spray or with homemade pan release.
- Bring the plain yogurt and eggs to room temperature before using for easy mixing.
- Measure all the ingredient needed for the sweet potato muffins accurately. Remember to spoon flour into a measuring cup and level with knife. This measuring cups and spoon set is the one I love because it makes measuring easy without any guess work.
Ingredients Used In Making The Sweet Potato Bread
This sweet potato bread is another example of quick bread which comes together easily, and there is no waiting time required for rising.
- Baking powder
- Spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, salt
- Sweet potato
- Plain yogurt or sour cream
- Vegetable oil
- Vanilla extract
Helpful Tips For Making The Quick Bread
- When microwaving the sweet potato, peel and cut the sweet potatoes into pieces and place them in a glass bowl containing water not filled to the brim. over the bowl and microwave at high for about 12 minutes or until soft. Allow to cool completely before using.
- You can use ½ cup of applesauce to replace the 2 eggs needed for the recipe if you want to make it egg free. if you choose to use the applesauce, you will need to increase the baking powder to 2½ teaspoons.
- The bread is done when the side pull away from the baking pans or when toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and dry.
- Do not overmix the bread mixture otherwise it will be a tough and denser bread
- Allow the pecan crumble to sit for 30 minutes before sprinkling on the bread. This makes it easy to crumble them onto the bread.
- The bread taste even better if eaten overnight since all the flavors would have been developed.
How To Make Sweet Potato Bread With Pecan Crumble
This sweet potato bread can be used as a breakfast dish or used for school lunchbox snacks. This recipe can be made any time of the year since sweet potatoes are available throughout the year.
- Cook the sweet potatoes and allow to cool completely before using it.
- Whisk all the dry ingredient together and set aside.
- Mash the sweet potato until smooth or you can leave some chucks in there to give it texture. For a smoother consistency, the sweet potato mixture can be mixed with a blender.
- Add the wet ingredient to the mashed potatoes and mix until they are all combined well.
- Add the sweet potato mixture to the dry mixture and stir together until combined but do not over mix.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle with the pecan crumble.
- Bake it in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and dry.
- Take it out of the oven and allow it to cool for about 10 minutes in the pan before turning it unto cooling rack to cool completely.
- Slice and enjoy.
How To Store The Bread
Quick breads are best enjoyed when served warm, However, they taste better when eaten the next day. When wrapped well, they can be stored at room temperature for about a week. When storing baked bread, it is good practice to allow it to cool completely after which you can slice and store it in an airtight container. For longer storage, wrap the sweet potato bread in a freezer bag. Write on the bag the date and name of the bread and then freeze it.
Reheating The Bread
When you are ready to use the bread, just heat it in a 350°F oven for about 15-20 minutes (if it was not sliced before freezing). If it was sliced before freezing it, the sliced bread can be warmed in the microwave for a few seconds and they are ready to enjoy with the same great taste and texture. For the bread to taste as good as the day you made them, consider using frozen bread within 3 months.
- Sweet potato bread without the pecans crumble and sprinkled with ground flaxseeds before baking for nutritional boost.
- Add chocolate chips to the bread and leave the pecans out.
- Dried cranberry fruits can also be added to the sweet potato bread mixture before baking.
Other Quick Bread Recipes
Thanks for reading. As always, know that God loves you and stay blessed.
Sweet Potato Bread with Pecan Crumble
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup pecan (toasted and chopped)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups or 2 medium size sweet potato (cooked and mashed)
- ½ cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup pecan (chopped)
- 2 tbsp. butter (melted)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven at 350°F or 180° C.
- Prepare one 9×5 inches loaf pan with nonstick spray or homemade pan release and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, pecans, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and set aside.
- In a different bowl, add mashed potato, yogurt, eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and whisk together until well mixed.
- Add the sweet potato mixture to the flour mixture and mix until there is no traces of flour in the mixture. Do not overmix the mixture at this point.
- Pour the sweet potato bread mixture into the prepared loaf pan.
For Pecan Crumble:
- In a small bowl, combine chopped pecans, brown sugar, flour, butter and stir until combined. The mixture should resemble moist crumbs. Sprinkle the pecan crumble mixture evenly on the top of the bread mixture.
- Bake in the oven for about 45-50 minutes or when toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Bring the bread out and allow the bread to cool in the loaf pan for about 10 minutes before transferring it to the cooling rack to cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy.