These Panera pumpkin muffins recipe copycat are easy to make at home and from scratch. They are moist, delicious, and less sweet. If you want your home to begin to smell and feel like fall, then give this recipe a try.
I like baking muffins because they are one of the easiest recipes to make and no special tools or ingredients are required. My kids also love them which makes it a win-win situation for me. I have an easy pumpkin recipe, but I needed to give Panera pumpkin muffins a try for a variety. I did my research on the ingredients and calories to create the recipe.
Then I found out the muffins have high calories; so, I knew I had to recreate a lower calorie version and make them into regular size muffins as well. I like to put my twist on these restaurant dishes and to make them less sweet but delicious. You can check on these recipes from Starbucks
Crumb/ Streusel Topping
Panera pumpkin muffins have a crumb topping which adds to the beauty of the muffins. The crumb topping ingredients listed on the Panera website include;
- Granulated sugar
- Vegetable oil
The muffins are finally sprinkled with powdered sugar for decoration. I opted for powdered sugar as the only topping since the family is not fond of topping.
PREP WORK BEFORE BAKING THE PUMPKIN MUFFINS
These steps are important since they will help you work faster and not waste a lot of time in the kitchen.
- To ensure that you have all the ingredients and tools needed for baking, read through the whole recipe you are using. Familiarize yourself with any additional preparation needed.
- Measure all your ingredients accurately and arrange them in the order they are listed in the recipe.
- Bring the eggs to room temperature before using them.
- Adjust the oven racks and preheat the oven to the required temperature. For this recipe the temperature is 350 °F or 180 °C.
- Prepare your muffin or cupcake pans. Place paper liner into the pans and set aside. You can use my magic pan release for the pan, if you do not have paper liners.
- Open the canned pumpkin puree items.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR MAKING THE PUMPKIN MUFFINS
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder and baking soda
- granulated sugar
- Pumpkin spice
- Pumpkin puree
- Vegetable oil
- Vanilla extract
How To Make Panera Pumpkin Muffins
in a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the crumb toppings and mix. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, pumpkin spice, and salt. Mix and set aside.
In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, pumpkin puree, vegetable oil, sugar, and vanilla extract.
Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Do not over mix the batter since it might end up being tough and chewy.
Spoon into prepared muffins pans by filling each pan to ¾ full.
Add crumb or streusel toppings to the batter if you are using them.
Bake at 350°F for about 18 to 20 minutes. Alternatively, you can insert a toothpick into the center of the muffins. If it comes out clean and dry, then it means the muffin is done baking.
Transfer the muffins onto a cooling rack after baking to cool completely. Serve and enjoy. The remaining ones can be stored in an airtight container for another day.
- Pumpkin muffins freeze well so you can double the recipe to get enough to store.
- They can be used for snacks or paired with your morning coffee. They can even be added to school lunch boxes.
- This recipe can also be made into pumpkin bread
- You can add either toasted nuts, chocolate chip or dried fruits to the muffins. When using dried or fresh fruit, toss them slightly with flour and shake off any excess before adding them to the batter.
- If you want it sweeter, increase the sugar quantity to ¾ cup.
- Cool the muffins completely before adding the powdered sugar on top.
- Use pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling that has added ingredients.
How To store Panera Pumpkin Muffins
These muffins can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for a few days. They can also be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you are ready to eat them, warm them in the microwave using the defrost setting for a few seconds.
Watch How to Make Panera Pumpkin Muffins
How to Make the Crumb / Streusel topping
Use your fingertips or a fork to mix the room temperature butter with the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt to form a paste. Then sprinkle on the muffins before baking.
The best pumpkin muffins for the whole family!
If you have any questions about this recipe, I will love to hear about them in the comment section below. Did you make this recipe? Let me know by leaving a review and rating below. Tag me @ #theduchezkitchen- on Instagram and Facebook? Find me @theduchezkitchen.
Thanks for reading. As always, know that God loves you, and stay blessed!
Panera Pumpkin Muffin Recipe Copycat
- Crumb/ Streusel Topping
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup all- purpose flour (43g)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 ¾ cup all- purpose flour (210g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar (100g)
- I can pumpkin puree (1 ¾ cups/ 450g)
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil (72g/ 80ml)
- 2 large eggs
- I teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ cup Powdered Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C. Prepare the muffin pan with cupcake liners or pan release spread.
- Crumb Topping
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for crumb topping and mix. Set aside
- In a separate medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, pumpkin spice, and salt. Mix and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, pumpkin puree, vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
- Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Do not over mix the batter since it might end up being tough and chewy. Any lumps will disappear after baking.
- Use a large ice cream scoop or spoon and fill the muffin pans. The pans should be ¾ full to give the muffin a nice, rounded top. Add the crumb topping to the top of the batter.
- Bake the muffins for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted into the center of the muffins and comes out clean and dry. Remove them immediately to the cooling rack to cool completely.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, Serve and enjoy