These delicious Starbucks blueberry muffins are buttery, soft, and even better than the store-bought ones. They are moist and loaded with fresh blueberries. It uses less sugar than most recipes.
I love muffins for breakfast and as a grab-and-go snack for my kids. This recipe does just that and the kids and everyone like them. They are easy to make and freezes well and thaws well. You can give these Starbucks blueberry scones a try too.
Why You Will Love This Blueberry Muffins
- Quick and easy to make
- Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or snacks
- Bursting with fresh blueberries
- Soft and moist making it a perfect muffin
- They are fluffy and delicious but not too sweet.
These muffins use simple ingredients which you might have in your kitchen already.
- Flour: All-purpose flour was used.
- Baking soda: works well with the buttermilk to produce a slightly acidic batter which helps makes these muffins moist and tender. They act as leavening agent too.
- Baking powder: they add lift to the baked muffins
- Salt: brings everything together for a tasty muffin
- Nutmeg: this adds a unique flavor to muffin, but ground cinnamon will work too.
- Butter: unsalted butter at room temperature is used.
- Sugar: granulated white sugar was used; you can use brown sugar but bear in mind the flavor and texture will change a little.
- Eggs: they add richness to the muffins
- Sour cream: add moisture to the batter without thinning it out and adding creaminess to the muffins.
- Buttermilk: brings a pleasant tang t the blueberry muffin while making the muffin tender.
- Blueberries: fresh blueberries are used but frozen ones will work well. Do not thaw the frozen blueberries.
How to Make These Beautiful Blueberry Muffins
These soft Starbucks muffins do not require any complex steps. All the ingredients need to be at room temperature for easy mixing. Below is the overview of the steps for making the muffins.
Whisk the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt.
Mix the wet ingredients: butter, sugars, eggs, sour cream or yogurt, vanilla except for the buttermilk.
Combine the dry and wet mixture and add buttermilk. Fold in the juicy blueberries.
Spoon muffin batter into muffin pan
Sprinkle coarse sugar on top or add streusel toppings of choice.
Bake in the preheated oven, cool, serve, and enjoy.
Tips to Make the Best Starbucks Muffins
- Measure the flour properly by using spoon and level method. This is done by spooning the flour into the measuring cup and level it with a knife. You can read more here.
- Bring all the ingredients to room temperature before using for better result.
- Prepare the muffins tin or pans with my magic pan release or baking muffin liners.
- Do not overmix the batter otherwise the result will be dense and tough muffins. Fold the blueberries with spatula.
- Have patient and don’t be tempted to open the oven door to check the muffins when baking. You can use the glass window and the light to check them. do not bake with oven light on, the oven temperature will be affected.
- To achieve the high domed tops, fill the muffins pans to the top and the muffin batter must be thick.
- Use ice cream scoop to fill the muffins pans with batter quickly and evenly.
Variation to this Recipe
This muffin recipe is very versatile and can be modified anyhow want them. you can make it vegan, gluten-free, and more nutritious.
How to make vegan version: to make this recipe vegan replace the eggs, sour cream, and buttermilk with one cup of non-dairy buttermilk. Soy or almond milk is the best choice for making vegan buttermilk. Replace regular butter with vegan butter such as Earth balance butter or margarine. Maintain the quantities stated for other ingredients and continue with the rest of the recipe.
How to make gluten-free muffins: gluten-free blueberry muffin version is easy to make. Use a 1:1 baking flour blend or any gluten-free flour blend you like. One secret ingredient to successful gluten-free baking is xanthan gum. If you want to have good baked goods, then use flour that containS the gum or add it to your flour blend.
How to make sugar-free muffins: these muffins are very low in sugar compared to the coffee shop or other recipes online. If you want to make it more nutritious and sugar-free, then substitute ½ cup of all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour. Replace the granulated sugar with honey or another sugar substitute.
How to Store the Starbucks Blueberry Muffins
These muffins will keep up to 3 months in the freezer. Let the muffins cool completely, then place them in a freezer zipper bag or container. Label the bag with the name of the product, and date. When ready to eat the muffins, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight or out on the counter. To warm them, microwave for about 30 seconds or warm in the oven at 300 F for about 10minutes.
If you have any questions about this recipe, I will love to hear about them in the comment section below. Did you make this recipe, snap a photo and tag me #theduchezkitchen- I love to see your creations on Instagram and Facebook? Find me @theduchezkitchen.
Thanks for reading. As always, know that God loves you, and stay blessed!
Happy baking and decorating!!
Starbucks Blueberry Muffins
- 1¾ cups (221g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (113g/ 1stick) unsalted butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup (82g) sour cream at room temperature
- ¼ cup (60g) buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (270g) fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons Turbinado or coarse sugar
- Gather all the ingredients needed for the recipe. Bring buttermilk, eggs, and sour cream to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Spray a 12-cup muffin baking pan with non-stick spray or pan release spread or use baking liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt and whisk together. set aside.
- In another medium bowl with a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream sugar and butter until creamy and smooth. While the mixer is running on a medium speed, add the eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition until well mixed. Add vanilla extract and sour cream and mix well. Then add the dry ingredients and buttermilk to the wet ingredients and mix well but don’t overmix the batter. Toss the blueberries with a little flour and fold them into the batter.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill the muffins pans with the batter to about ¾ full. Sprinkle with raw sugar and bake at 375° F for about 16-18 minutes or until toothpick is inserted into it and comes out clean and dry.
- Cool the muffins for 5 minutes in the muffin pan and then transfer them to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy.