Skip the store-bought strawberry shortcake muffins, which are made with artificial flavors, and make these strawberry muffins from scratch with fresh strawberries. If you are a fan of strawberry shortcakes, then these muffins will be your next favorite thing.
While summer is still in full swing and fresh strawberries are abundant in the grocery stores, I needed to take advantage of it. These shortcake muffins are an excellent way to use up all the spring and summer strawberries; they are also cheap. This is a slight change from strawberry shortcake but with the same deliciousness. The only advice is to add more fresh strawberries to the batter for an intense strawberry flavor.
What is the Difference between Strawberry shortcake and strawberry shortcake muffins?
These strawberry shortcake muffins are made the same as strawberry shortcakes and use the same ingredients. The only difference is that strawberry shortcake muffins have fresh strawberries added to the batter and baked with it. At the same time, the shortcake is baked without the strawberries but served with them.
More About Strawberry Shortcake Muffin Recipe
- These muffins are homemade and very easy to make
- It tastes like a shortcake with a moist texture and is filled with fresh strawberries.
- You can freeze them for up to 3 months but for the best flavor, use them within a month.
- Perfect for serving as breakfast or snacks
Tools and Equipment
This recipe would not be easy than this, and you only need a few kitchen tools to make it possible.
- Mixing bowls and spoons
- Muffin pans
- Kitchen knife
- Rubber spatula
Strawberry shortcake Muffins Ingredients
Flour: All-purpose flour is used for the recipe
Corn flour/ starch: is added to make the texture of the muffins fluffy and moist.
Baking powder: acts as a raising agent or leavening for the muffins.
Salt: bring all the ingredients together and enhance the taste as well.
Sugar: granulated white sugar is used, but brown sugar also works.
Dairy: cold butter and buttermilk. The buttermilk can be replaced with full cream, half and half, or milk.
Eggs: a large egg
Fruit: Fresh whole strawberries
Flavorings: vanilla extract
The recipe card at the bottom of the page contains full ingredients, measurements, and instructions.
Step By Step Instructions on How to Make strawberry shortcake Muffins
Muffins are one of the easiest recipes to make, and it is beginner friendly as well. It does not require any complex steps or techniques. Below are the steps to make these delicious strawberry muffins.
Preheat the oven, grease the muffin pans, or line them with baking cups and set them aside. Then measure all your ingredients, chop the fresh strawberries, and set them aside except for the butter that needs to be cold. All this preparation before the cooking is known as mise en place; for more baking basics, check these posts on essential baking tips, basic baking tools, and basic baking ingredients every kitchen needs.
Whisk together all the dry ingredients for even distribution and add the pieces of cold butter. Mix until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
Combine the liquid ingredients and mix well, then add them all to the dry ingredients. Stir until the dry ingredients are moist, toss the chopped strawberries with two tablespoons of the flour mixture and add them to the batter. Stir to combine but do not over-mix.
Scoop the batter into the pan, and top it with extra chopped strawberries and coarse sugar. Bake the muffins in the preheated oven for about 18- 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick is inserted into the center and comes out clean.
Expert Tips for Making the Best Muffins
- For this recipe, combine all the dry ingredients first and whisk them first to distribute all ingredients evenly.
- Mix all the liquid ingredients and add them to the dry ingredients. It reduces overmixing of the batter.
- Do not over-mix the batter since it will produce a tough texture.
- Make sure to grease the muffin pan well or use baking liners or cups to prevent the strawberry shortcake muffins from sticking to the pan.
- If you want a rounded top muffin, fill the baking pans to ¾ full with the batter.
- When adding fruits to muffins, toss them with a bit of flour before adding them to the muffin batter. This prevents the fruits from sinking to the bottom of the muffins after baking.
Storage and Freezing Instructions
These muffins can be stored in an airtight container for several days. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months in the freezer. Allow them to cool completely after baking, double wrap them in a plastic freezer bag or foil and store them. To get the best flavor from the muffins, use frozen muffins within a month.
How to Warm or Reheat the Muffins
You can thaw them overnight on the countertop or in the fridge. To reheat the frozen muffins, wrap them in foil and heat them in a 350 F preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until heated through. For faster reheating, use the microwave to warm the muffins.
More Muffin Recipes You’ll Love
- Pumpkin Muffins
- Starbucks Blueberry Muffins
- Papaya muffins
- Sweet Potato Muffins
- Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
- Panera Pumpkin Muffins
How To Make Strawberry Shortcake Muffins Video Tutorial
Don’t Want to Miss a Thing?
Follow me on Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest, and Instagram to keep up with all the latest news from the Duchez Kitchen.
If you have any questions about this recipe, I would love to hear them in the comment section below. Did you make this recipe? Let me know by leaving a review and recipe rating below. Tag me @ #theduchezkitchen- on Instagram and Facebook.
Thanks for reading. As always, know that God loves you, and stay blessed!
Strawberry Shortcake Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons corn flour/ cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold butter
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons Coarse sugar or turbinado sugar optional
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line the muffin pans with baking cups or grease the pans with non-stick food spray and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, corn flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Cut the cold butter into cubes and add them to the dry ingredients. Using your fingertips or pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla extract. Add them to the flour mixture and stir until the dry ingredients are moist; toss the chopped strawberries with a 2 tablespoon of flour mixture and add them to the batter. Stir to combine but do not over-mix.
- Scoop the batter into the pan, and top them with extra chopped strawberries and coarse sugar. Bake the muffins in the preheated oven for about 18- 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick is inserted into the center and comes out clean.
- Bring the muffins out of the oven and allow them to cool slightly in the pan, and then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely. Serve them warm and store the remaining ones for later use.
These muffins can be stored in an airtight container for several days. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months in the freezer. Allow them to cool completely after baking, double wrap them in a plastic freezer bag or foil and store them. To get the best flavor from the muffins, use frozen muffins within a month. How to Warm or Reheat the Muffins
You can thaw them overnight on the countertop or in the fridge. To reheat the frozen muffins, wrap them in foil and heat them in a 350 F preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until heated through. For faster reheating, use the microwave to warm the muffins. How to Make Buttermilk
if you do not have buttermilk on hand, you can easily make one using 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice and add enough milk to make 1 cup of buttermilk. Stir and allow to sit for 5 minutes before using.