These delicious blueberry oatmeal crumble bars are filled with fresh blueberry. They are bursting with orange and blueberry flavors on a buttery crust and tasty streusel topping.
Do you want an easy snack that doubles as breakfast and satisfies every taste bud, then you are in luck? These bars make a great breakfast and double as a dessert for any sweet tooth. This crumble bar has three steps compare to many recipes, but this makes this bar unique and delicious at the same time. I like baking with blueberries, but you can substitute the blueberries with fresh strawberries and that should work too.
Frozen blueberries or blueberry jam can be used as well. When using frozen blueberries, do not thaw the blueberries rather use them frozen. Also, know that that will prolong the cooking time.
Ingredients Needed To Make The Bars
All purpose flour add structure to the bar and forms the crust
Oatmeal add fiber to the recipe and makes it nutritious.
Baking power makes the crust light
Egg yolk for richness and taste
Unsalted butter makes the crust moist and flavorful
Brown sugar add a rich color, sweetness, and nice taste to the bars
Vanilla extract and salt bring everything together
Fresh blueberry makes the bars shine in taste, flavor, and colorful
Granulated sugar is combined with blueberry and corn flour to thicken it.
Orange juice and zest complement the blueberry flavor. For a unique taste try mandarin oranges or tangerine.
Preparation before baking
I am a big fan of mise en place or preparation before you start baking because it saves time. The first thing is to read through the entire recipe you are using to familiarize yourself with the methods, ingredients, and tools called for in the recipe. For more information on baking tips, check out this post. Now for this delicious blueberry oatmeal crumble bars recipe, the prep work will include the following:
- Preheat oven
- Line the 9×13 inches baking pan with parchment paper
- Measure all the ingredients needed for the recipe
- Bring the butter and egg out of the refrigerator so that they can come to room temperature before using them.
- Zest the orange and extract juice from the orange
- Melt butter and allow to cool
How to make oatmeal crust
The crust is loaded with oat and made with less sugar making them the perfect dish for any time of the day. The first step in making the crust is to whisk all the dry ingredients together. Then cream sugar and butter together till mixed, add the egg yolk and vanilla and mix well. Add the dry ingredient to form a dough and press it into the baking pan. You can use your hand or bottom of a measuring cup to press down the dough evenly into the pan. Bake for 15 minutes in a preheated oven.
How to make the blueberry filling
Make the filling while the crust is baking. Fresh blueberries were used but feel free to use frozen if that is what you have available or even blueberry jam. Toss the blueberry with cornflour, granulated sugar, orange zest, and orange juice. Make sure everything is mixed well and set aside.
Making the crumble toppings
This is yet another step, but it makes all the difference in this recipe. This topping comes together very quickly. Mix melted butter, flour, cinnamon, sugar, and salt until it forms crumbs. Set aside.
Putting all together
After baking the crust for exactly 15, bring it out of the oven and pour the blueberry filling on top of the crust. Make sure the filling covers the crust evenly. The next step is to sprinkle the crumble topping on top of the blueberry filling evenly and bake until the blueberry filling is bubbling and soft. Allow to cool completely and cut into squares, serve, and enjoy.
How to Store the bars
These bars taste good with their crispy toppings right from the oven, but they are also good a day after. Just a note the crumbly topping will be a bit soft, but they still taste amazing. To store them, Seal them in an airtight container and keep them in the fridge for up to a week.
For long-term storage, seal them in a freezer bag and keep them in a freezer-safe container. Label and store them in the freezer and will keep them for about 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw them in a refrigerator overnight and allow them to come to room temperature before eating.
Other recipes to try
if you try this recipe let me by leaving a comment below and share your photo with me on Instagram by tagging #theduchezkitchen.
Thanks for reading. As always, God bless you and have a blessed day.
Delicious Blueberry Oatmeal Crumble Bars
For the crust
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup oat
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the blueberry filling
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
For the crumble topping
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup melted unsalted butter (cool)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Line 9×13 inches baking pan with parchmentpaper and set aside.
Making the crust
- In amedium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients for the crust (flour, oat,baking powder, salt) and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, using a hand mixer or in the bowl ofstand mixer, cream together butter and the brown sugar until well combined. Add the egg yolk and the vanilla extract andmix to combine.
- Turn the mixer to low and add the dry ingredients and mixed untilcombinedPour the mixture into the prepared baking pan and press themixture firmly into the bottom of the pan evenly.Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
Making the blueberry filling
- While the crust is baking, prepare the blueberry filling by combining the blueberries, orange juice, zest, granulated sugar, and corn starch in a medium bowl. stir together and set aside.
Making the crumble topping
- In another medium bowl, stir together the ingredients for the topping (flour, brown sugar, melted unsalted butter, cinnamon, and salt)with a spatula. it should be crumbly or looks like breadcrumbs and set aside.
Putting it all together
- After the crust is done baking, bring it out of the oven and be careful because it will be hot.Pour the blueberry filling on the crust while it is hot and make sure the filling cover the crust evenly.Sprinkle the crumble toppings over the blueberry layer.
- Take it back to the oven and bake for 40 – 45minutes or until the topping turns golden brown and the blueberry filling is bubbling underneath the topping.Bring it out of the oven and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack for about 30 minutes before cutting into bars.Serve and enjoy.