This whole wheat banana bread recipe is tasty and flavorful and light. In this healthier banana bread recipe, olive oil, whole wheat flour, and honey are some of the ingredients used. With a few additional basic ingredients, you can make the best banana bread ever.
More About this Recipe
- Easy to make and ready to bake in 10 minutes.
- The only tools you need are a bowl and a whisk.
- Healthy and full of fiber because it is made with 100% whole wheat flour.
- They are naturally sweetened with honey and bananas.
I like having homemade bread for weekdays for a quick grab-and-go breakfast for both kids and adults. Aside from muffins, I bake a loaf of quick bread that I allow to cool completely then slice them for storing for later use.
The Best Banana to Use
The best bananas to use for banana bread are those which are very ripped or dark skin. When they are over ripped, they add extra moisture and flavor to the recipe. If your bananas are firm and green, you can hasten the ripening process. To do this just put the banana into a paper bag and leave it on the kitchen counter or pantry. You can also wrap them in a plastic bag, tie and leave them in a pantry for a few days.
Flour: whole wheat flour was used. Use the scoop and level method for measuring the flour.
Leavening agent: baking soda was used, and it adds lift to the banana bread.
Spices: ground cinnamon and nutmeg were used for giving a flavor booster.
Salts: brings all the ingredients together.
Olive oil: olive oil was used but other vegetable oil can be used.
Honey: I used pure honey but you can use brown sugar, pure maple syrup, or a mixture of both.
Eggs: two large size eggs were used. The eggs should be at room temperature for better mixing.
Bananas: I used over ripped bananas for the bread.
Vanilla extract: to add taste and flavor to the recipe.
How to Mash Banana
If the bananas are over ripped, then a fork can be used for mashing the fruits. When your bananas are firm, then you can use your stand or hand mixer for mashing the bananas. After mashing with the mixer, don’t wash the bowl and use it for making the bread. If you do not have a mixer, a Pastry blender can also be used to achieve the same result. Peel the bananas, break into pieces, and place them into a bowl, mix or press down with a fork until they are mashed. This recipe uses only a whisk because the bananas were very ripped.
How to Make Banana Bread
This banana bread uses only a whisk and a mixing bowl, or a wooden spoon. This is an overview of the instructions for making the bread.
In a medium bowl combine the flour, ground nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Mix to combine.
In another large bowl, mash the bananas.
Include the eggs in bananas and whisk well to mix. Add the honey, milk, vanilla, and whisk to mix.
Mix in the flour mixture to combine. Do not overmix the batter.
Pour the bread batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes.
Cool loaf in the pan for about 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- You can swap unsweetened applesauce in place of the olive oil.
- Make this banana bread dairy free by using diary free milk such as almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, cashew milk.
- You can use pure maple syrup or agave instead of the honey.
How to Measure Flour
The best and accurate way to measure flour is to weigh it with a digital or kitchen scale. But if you are using measuring cups then follow these steps for the most accurate measurement.
- Use a spoon to fluff and lightly scoop the flour from the flour container into the measuring cup.
- Then, use a straight edge to level off the top of the flour until you have flat and smooth surface.
- While filling the cup, do not tap or shake the cup. This will pack the flour into the cup and increase the quantity more than needed.
How to Store the banana Bread
This banana bread recipe freezes well tastes better after a few days. This bread keeps well at room temperature for few days. Stored the bread for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Slice the loaf into 12 serving sizes and wrap them individually in wax paper. Then place them in the freezer bag, label them with name, date and store them. When ready to use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight or on the counter at room temperature.
Recipes You May Like
If you have any questions about this recipe, I will love to hear about them in the comment section below. Did you make this recipe? Let me know by leaving a review and rating below. Tag me @ #theduchezkitchen- on Instagram and Facebook? Find me @theduchezkitchen.
Thanks for reading. As always, know that God loves you, and stay blessed!
Happy baking and decorating!!
Whole Wheat Banana Bread Recipe
- 1and ¾ cup (210g) whole wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) Olive oil
- ½ cup (170g) honey
- ⅓ cup (80ml) milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- a handful of pecans for garnish optional
- Preparation work
- Adjust the oven rack and preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Prepare 9x5x3 inches loaf pan with non-stick spray or this homemade pan release. Set aside
- Making the Banana bread
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, ground nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and whip together. Then set aside.
- In another large bowl, mash the bananas to the desire consistency. Then add the eggs and whisk until mixed. Add the honey, milk, vanilla, and whisk to mix.
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and mix to combine. Do not overmix the batter.
- Pour the bread butter into the prepared loaf pan, add the pecans if using and bake for about 50 minutes. The bread is done when a toothpick is inserted into the center and comes out clean or with few moist crumbs
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Store the banana bread at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the fridge for one week
Store the banana bread at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the fridge for one week. This banana bread recipe freezes well and tastes better after a few days too. This bread keeps well at room temperature for few days. Stored the bread for up to 3 months in the freezer.