This digestive biscuit recipe is delicious and straightforward, with only 6 ingredients.
These biscuits are whole wheat shortbread and buttery. These are semi-sweet, crispy, and crunchy, like graham crackers.
McVitie’s digestive biscuits are European and very popular in most African countries. This is one of the biscuits I grew up eating, and now my kids like it too. Therefore, I knew I had to get a recipe to make at home and share it with friends and family.
How do I Use Digestive Biscuits
These biscuits can be used in many ways besides eating as a snack. You can use it instead of Graham cracker to make crumbs and no-bake pie crusts for various pies and cheesecakes.
Ingredients for Making Digestive Biscuits
- Whole wheat flour
- Baking powder
- Powdered sugar
Tools Needed for Making Digestive Biscuits
- Cookie sheet and parchment paper
- Mixing bowl
- Floured surface
- Rolling pin
- Measuring cups
Step by Step Instruction for Making whole wheat Biscuits
Measure all the ingredients needed for the recipe. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the milk and work through to form a dough. You can use a stand mixer as well.
Transfer the biscuits to your baking pan and, if desired, prick the biscuits with a fork to create holes. Bake for 20 minutes until the biscuits are golden at the edges.
Allow to cool completely and decorate with melted chocolate and serve.
Other Recipes You May Like
This biscuit can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for about a week. The cookie dough can also be frozen for up to 3 months. When ready to bake, let them thaw in the refrigerator overnight and follow the recipe instructions.
Don’t Want to Miss a Thing?
If you have any questions about this recipe, I would love to hear them in the comment section below. Did you make this recipe? Let me know by leaving a review and recipe rating below. Tag me @ #theduchezkitchen- on Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook.
Thanks for reading. As always, know that God loves you, and stay blessed!
Digestive Biscuit Recipe
- 1¾ cups (236g) whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (85g)powdered sugar
- ½ cup (115g) unsalted butter
- ¼ cup (57ml) milk
- Measure all the ingredients needed for the recipe. In a medium bowl, Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar and mix to combine the ingredients. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the milk and work through to form a dough.
- Turn out on a floured surface and roll to form a smooth dough. (If your dough seems dry add a little more milk.) Using a well-floured rolling pin, roll the dough out to a bit more than 1/8 inch thick and cut it into rounds, about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Keep rolling the scraps together to make additional biscuits until all is used.
- Transfer the biscuits to your baking pan and prick the biscuits with a fork to create holes. Bake for 20 minutes until the biscuits are golden at the edges.
- Allow to cool completely and decorate with chocolate or serve.Enjoy.